How old should my child be before using Social Media?

by | Jun 30, 2018

In a recent meeting with an eSafety expert, one Year 6 student asked the presenter how old you should be before having social media. When the presenter jokingly said ‘about thirty’, many of the Year 5 and 6 students in the room seemed incredulous.

We know of many students in lower and lower grades that have social media accounts either with or without parent consent. There are a couple of reasons why this is concerning.

The first reason is that under the US COPPA (1998) law, these organisations are legally in breach if they have collected information of children under the age of 13.

The second reason is that we have seen from personal experience that many children both under and over thirteen have demonstrated that they don’t have the maturity to handle social media in a safe, smart and responsible way. This has unfortunately led to an increase in online bullying, body and self image issues that are really hurting our kids.

The Office of the Children’s eSafety Commissioner contains more resource on this at this website. The infographic below provides a great reference for age limits on all social media accounts.

Age limits for social media

You may also be interested in...

We are eSmart!

This week I got an email that started with the line "We are very proud to announce that King's Christian College has now attained eSmart Status! This is a wonderful achievement." The email was from eSmart Schools, an initiative of the Allanah and Madeline...

read more

Helping your child to research online

A while ago, I was assisting my son to do some research on his laptop. I would love to say he was cooperative, but that wasn’t quite how it played out. I asked him to show me the topic he was researching, in this case a biography. I looked on the learning management...

read more

Adobe Creative Suite

What is the Adobe Creative Suite? The Adobe company is a leading provider of well-known industry standard applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom. King's uses this software extensively in our Art, Industrial Design and Technology and Film, TV and New...

read more